Security Culture

The ideas, customs, and social behavior of a particular people or society
that allows them to be free from danger or threats.

Branding Your Information Security Team

Posts Forums Post Comments Branding Your Information Security Team

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  caveco 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author

Mo Amin
    Participant

I’ve always thought that information security teams should create a brand for themselves and act as an internal consultancy function. If you have a ma
    [See the full post at: Branding Your Information Security Team]

Kai Roer
    Keymaster

Hi Mo,
    I think you are spot on with this. Interacting with those who knows how to do a thing (communication in this case) is always a good idea IMO.
    I know a large oil-service company used their internal marketing resources, as well as an external agency, to create a well-crafted message that yielded great results.
    A different approach was done by a financial organization, who put a PR/communication person in the CISO-role – as they recognized that the CISO is more about information than anything else. This company also implemented a well-crafted series of campaigns that made a great impact on their security branding internally.
    How would you invite such persons on board your security program?

Mo Amin
    Participant

Building awareness programmes such as the organisations above is a good start. Personally, I like the idea of building awareness that also crosses over to an individual’s personal life. As most of the messages for their home environment map to the business environment.

If this is done correctly, it essentially creates behavioural change thereby getting people on board.

Thoughts?

Michala
    Participant

Agreed – although I’d have a cross-functional team not just IT. Previously I’ve used successfully this technique to brand a team of superheroes (Avengers) known as ‘the KISS Brigade’ (Keep Information Safe and Secure) who helped educate the organisation and protect from the bad guys – worked well, was fun and got people talking about security.

Mo Amin
      Participant

Hi Michala, yes indeed it should be a cross-functional team.

I like the concept you used. May I ask how you measured success?

Mo.

joshharvey
    Participant

That sound too good to be true, but I guess branding security service like them is something that could compromise their works since they will work as an intelligence group for certain tasks.

Regards,
    Josh of http://eatmywords.com/

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.